The dovetail and finger joints modeling add-in allows you to create precise and efficient assemblies between two solid objects, supporting both metric and imperial systems.
The software automatically calculates the dimensions of the tails based on the desired number and spacing, saving you time-consuming calculations.
The customization tab provides a range of assembly configuration options, allowing you to meet all your modeling needs.
Additionally, the extension offers the capability to model assemblies with rounded edges for router milling, enhancing its versatility.
The modeling process is streamlined and faster, allowing you to spend more time on other important tasks.
With the dovetail modeling extension, you can improve the accuracy and efficiency of your CAD work.
Currently supported languages : English, French.
(Contact me if you want to add support for another language).
Instructions for use
To open the extension, go to the "SOLID" section. You can either click on the following icon in the toolbar , or click on the link in the "Edit" menu.
The selected solids must either completely overlap or not overlap at all. A partial overlap will create an inconsistent result.
Here is an example of solid selections that will or will not work:
No overlap: OK
Complete overlap: OK
Partial overlap: NOK
The preview of the assembly result takes some time to display. By default, it is disabled, but just check the "Preview result" box to enable it.
When selecting the second solid, the assembly height is automatically calculated. However, you can modify this height, which may be useful for half-blind dovetails.
Dovetail joint assembly
In this mode, you can create a dovetail joint assembly by specifying all measurements except the tail width, which will be automatically calculated based on the length of the assembly and the parameters you have entered in the command window.
You can enter:
- The number of tails
- The width of the shoulder
- The spacing between tails
- The height (calculated when selecting the solids but can be modified)
- The angle of the tails (the proposed angles are the most common in this type of assembly)
In this mode, you can create a finger joint by specifying a number of tails and a tail height (calculated when selecting the solids).
The width of the tails will be automatically calculated by the extension.
This type of joint allows you to meet more specific needs. You can modify any dimension if you wish or let the extension calculate it for you.
Like the other joint modes, you will find the angle parameter for the dovetails and the height parameter which can be modified (calculated when selecting both solids).
When you activate this type of joint, you will find a table with the elements that make it up.
- Offsets (top and bottom): Offsets allow you to offset the tails on the height of the joint (useful for creating joints at the back of drawers, for example).
- Spacing: These are the spaces between tails. These spaces are added and removed automatically with the tails.
- Tails: You can select the type of tail you want to create via a drop-down menu.
Offsets cannot be removed. You just need to enter their value to zero to make them inactive.
To add a new tail, click on the "Add" button. The program will automatically add the tail with space on either side.
To delete a tail, click on the "Delete" button next to it in the table. This will delete the tail but also any excess spaces.
You can manually enter a width by unchecking "auto" and entering the desired value.
If the sum of the entered values exceeds the length of the joint, a warning will appear in the "Length" field indicating the excess value (see example below).
To install this app/plug-in from Autodesk App Store, run the installer you downloaded.
If you want to temporarily stop using the add-in, you can unload it by clicking the "Stop" button when the add-in is selected in the list box on the "Add-Ins" tab of the "Scripts and Add-Ins" dialog. To prevent the add-in from being loaded in future sessions of Fusion 360, uncheck the "Run on Startup" option. To fully uninstall the plug-in, first exit the Autodesk product if it's currently running, then run the installer again and select the "Uninstall" button. Alternatively, you can remove the plug-in from your system through 'Control Panel/Programs and Features' (Windows 7/8.1/10/11), just like any other application.
- Version 1.0.0 :
- Version 1.1.0 :
- Modified offsets in 'custom' mode to offer end-to-end tails as either dovetails or straight tails.
- Added delete icons in the 'custom' table.
- Fixed the bug: Fusion crashing when adding a dovetail in 'custom' mode.
- Removed the warning message during the first 5 openings of the extension without an activated license.
- Fixed the input parameter validation system in 'Dovetails' mode.
- Version 1.1.1 :
Bug fix for creating a joint on bodies placed inside components.
- Version 1.1.2 :
- Bug fix for creating a covered joint on bodies placed inside components.
- Increased the dimensional limits of the dovetail joint.
- Version 1.1.3 :
Bug fix for an issue introduced by Fusion v.2.0.16753 impacting the creation of covered dovetail joints.
- Version 1.1.4 :
Fixes issues that may occur with entitlement checking.
- Version 1.1.5 :
- Added a link to the help web page.
- Displays an information message when the extension settings are invalid.
- When selecting new bodies, loads optimized settings if the previous assembly settings are not applicable.
- Reorganized the parameter window.
- Added support for the imperial measurement system.
- Added custom tail angles management.
- Version 1.1.6 :
Update for compatibility with the major Fusion update (V.2.0.17211).
- Version 1.1.7 :
- Added a feature to model assemblies intended for router milling.
- Improved the detection of board thickness.
- Optimized the layout of commands in the dialog box.
- Version 1.1.8 :
Allows automatic assembly refresh when modifying a parameter after a validation error.
- Version 1.1.9 :
- Optimization of the transformations applied to the bodies to joint.
- Improved input parameter validation.
- Version 1.1.10 :
Improves the distribution of assembly size for dovetails in custom mode.
- Version 1.1.15 :
Improves the management of component instances with offset origins.
Support and contact
- Company: Woodsoul
- Developer: Emmanuel OLIVE
If you encounter any issues while using this application or want to suggest modifications, please contact me by email: email@example.com.